Wednesday 31 August 2011

Work-in-Progress Wednesday #1

Hello Everybody,


Well, I promised myself that I'd participate in Work-in-Progress (WIP) Wednesdays as per the Tami's Amis Blog, so here goes!







I've got lots of unfinished 'in-progress' things on the go at the moment. I've been bit slow on the old knitting and crocheting of late, but I'm trying to get back into the swing of things. Hopefully now it's getting colder and the nights are drawing in I'll feel more like doing yarny things. 


Anyway, the WIP that I would like to tell you about this week is my Baktus. This is a popular pattern on Ravelry, but I hadn't really heard of it until a friend at my knitting group was learning to knit and decided to make one. I thought this was the perfect, quick and easy project for my train journeys to and from work etc. However, several months later (I started 28th January!) I am not even halfway through. I thought posting about it on here might guilt-trip me into trying harder to complete it. Although it is very simple, I tend to talk a lot whilst knitting (actually, I talk a lot in general) and I keep on losing count on which row I am on. Yes, I know - I could write it down or use some sort of nifty device, but I simply cannot be bothered. So, the increases have happened on random rows, there are dropped stitches and purls (it's garter stitch). But, despite all this, I still quite like it.




Why do I like it? I think it's actually the yarn that I like. It's Araucania Ranco Multy in colour way number 302. I love the combination of blues and purples, my favourite colours. It's a 4-ply yarn, 75% wool and 25% nylon, which I bought in June 2010. I've been struggling to find the right project for it ever since. I tried to crochet a shawl with it, but it really didn't complement the dye pattern. I'm much happier with it being knitted up.




There is light at the end of the tunnel though! The pattern calls for you to knit up half increasing, then start to decrease. It's a 100g ball at there's 55g left so nearly halfway. I'm excited to start doing the decreases, wish me luck - maybe I'll be finished by the time the properly cold weather starts, maybe not.


Also on this WIP Wednesday I have taken my first peek at an old Singer sewing machine that was given to me by my great aunt, but I'll tell you more about that later in the week. Can't have too much excitement in one day! ;-)


Thistle Girl x

2 comments:

  1. The knitting is nice, and I love the colors! I almost envy you, having a train ride to work ... all that lovely knitting time!

    Don't feel bad about how long it's taking ... some times a project just needs to be put in time out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments.
    @Spinster Beth - yes, I am lucky to have train time to knit, but I never do any. Well, hardly ever - I managed 4 rows this morning. Don't know whether it's the fact that the train is really crowded or that it's difficult to concentrate. I find crochet a more train-friendly activity.
    @Kathleen - thanks, yes it is amazing how different a yarn can look with different techniques. I bet this yarn would look really nice in stocking stitch too, maybe I'll have to get some more!

    ReplyDelete