Sunday 13 May 2012

Mini Bottle Terrarium

Hello Everybody,

Yesterday I decided, rather impulsively, that I was going to create a terrarium. I have been eyeing up Rachael's lovely terrariums over at her Squiggly Rainbow blog for a while now. She sells her fab terrariums in Australia, a little bit far for postage to sunny Staffordshire. So, I decided to have a go at my own. I love all the little characters and objects she puts in them. I really want to make a little gnome garden, but don't have the right bits and bobs yet - will keep a look out!

I didn't want to start with a large one, I thought I'd give it a go on a smaller scale first. I liked the look of the light bulb ones on Pinterest and found a good website showing you how to get the filament out, but I had no dead light bulbs (will have to wait for that project). So, I thought I'd start with a bottle terrarium.

I found a bottle in the shed that I'd cleaned out and kept for making flavoured vinegars etc. To give you an idea of scale, it's a single serve Bottle Green sparkling pressé bottle - 275ml, measuring about 20cm in height.  I should point out that I have no real idea how to make a terrarium. I put some gravel in the bottom and a bit of cleanish potting soil (I hope - I don't want bugs). Then I bunged in some moss from the garden and added a bit of water. I think I added a bit too much water, so I'm hoping some will evaporate off.

Although I wanted to make a gnome garden, the bottle is a bit small for that and I don't have any gnome-themed miniatures yet. However, I did want to put something of interest in it to make it slightly less dull. I found a small ?Chinese figurine in a garden pot, which has been following me around for a few years now. I'm not sure where he originated from, I have a feeling he was my Nanny's but I'm not sure. He is painted and says 'Longevite' along the bottom. Strange thing. Anyway, he has now got a new home inside a bottle whether he likes it or not. I wanted to put in a lucky sixpence, but it wouldn't fit so I put in a tiny silver threepence from 1918. Not sure if that's so lucky though.

Here is my finished bottle terrarium. The photos aren't particularly clear as it's tricky to photograph into a bottle and the glass was a bit steamy. Sure you can get the gist though.






I'm not sure where it's going to live yet, I don't think they like direct sunlight. Has anyone else got/made a terrarium?

Hope you're all having a lovely weekend,

Thistle Girl x

1 comment:

  1. Very cute! Maybe leave the lid off for a few days to let the extra moisture out too! xxx Can I send you some little toadstools? Would love too! My email is squigglyrainbow@hotmail.com - can you email your postal address? Love from Oz - Rach xxx

    ReplyDelete